Monday, June 11, 2012

Salty.



I thought it would be great fun to do an open water event and since I live in Utah, what better open water event than the Great Salt Lake Open Water Marathon? I did the mile swim (foregoing the eight-miler swim from Antelope Island, crazy!) and it was lovely. Race day dawned clear and beautiful (despite dire storm predictions) with a delicious water temperature. I was buoyant as all get out and it was a comfort to know that if I ever cramped or tired I would simply bob along the surface in non-treading respite.

What did get me, however, was the salt. Of course I knew going into this that the Salt Lake was salty, but having it burn in my mouth, nose, and eyes was a little more than I was mentally able to handle. So wearing my bulky, kayaking wet-suit I breast-stroked most of the way at a leisurely 1.25 mph (45 minute finish) which definitely wasn't swimming-stellar, but certainly was fun.

Photo Credithttp://www.uibel.com/-/galleries/events/great-salt-lake-open-water-marathon-swim-2012/page/3

No comments: