Monday, June 4, 2012

Fears

List Item Two: Describe three legitimate fears you have. First of all, what makes fears legitimate is highly debatable. That being said the things I fear (legitimately or not) range from the serious to the mundane e.g. wrong decisions, cancer, and leaping from diving boards.


1) I'm getting better at making decisions, I really am. But nothing strikes a good dose of fear into my heart than the threat of making the wrong decision. I hate the sinking feeling I get when I make stupid or unwise choices even if they're as small (or arguably as big) as being rude to a friend or not making the time to help someone when I really should have. Thank goodness for the Atonement.

2) Once upon a time Cancer was just a big ol' crab that got kicked into the heavens by Hercules. Then Cancer somehow escaped its heavenly confinement and found my Mom. But just like Hercules, my Mom totally kicked Cancer's trash. 

Today, 33% of all Americans will be afflicted with some form of cancer during their lifetime. The very nature of the disease is terrifying. There's no outside bacteria or virus causing your demise, just your own confused and malignant cells multiplying themselves into extinction. Also, this book, while very informative, brought me up to date on the ravaging guesswork of modern (and ancient) cancer treatment. Talk about fighting poison with poison. I'm scared that I can't protect my family and friends from cancer. I'm scared that I can't protect myself from cancer. Just wear sunscreen, OK guys? And don't microwave your plastic bowls. And love your friends and family. 

3) I think the thing that gets me about diving boards is their bounciness. I can handle jumping off (moderately high) cliffs into bodies of water, but flinging myself with extra bouncy momentum into swimming pools I will not allow. I'm one of those kids who went up to the top of diving boards and made everyone groan aloud as I chickened out and awkwardly climbed back down the ladder. I believe diving boards cause broken necks and spines and I will stay safely swimming in the pool thank you very much.

1 comment:

Willard said...

Excellent para likening Herc w/Mom.