Thursday, June 23, 2011

I may make baleadas, but I still refrigerate my cheese

It's official. We're going to El Salvador. We even went and bought our bus tickets from a travel agency, an action so inordinately quaint it reminded me of olden times, or more accurately, reminded me of the The Truman Show when Jim Carey tries to book tickets to Tahiti or wherever which I am pretty sure was my only exposure to travel agencies prior to Tuesday's trip to Alhambra Travel.

Yesterday we graduated Taller #4 which was both fabulous and exhausting due to my lackluster attempts at fighting my head-cold solely with lemonade and some tricky teacher-student moments. But we ultimately emerged triumphant (I woke up this morning feeling much better--thanks magical Honduran limones!) and we enjoyed a wonderful refrigerio post-graduation complete with golosinas, tamales, torta, tajaditas, and of course limonada.


On a sad note, Honduras lost to Mexico in the Copa Oro yesterday. But at least they held their own until overtime which was proud. And I am in love with the announcers and was reminded once again why I preferred watching the Copa Mundial 2010 games on the Spanish channel. The catracho announcers I enjoyed yesterday were hilariously self-deprecating and crass and I turned off the tele feeling sad, but also a whole lot of love for the entire catracho team. As announced so so eloquently, Honduras may not have potable water or international aid, but they still kept those Mexicans at bay for 90 minutes. Orale gueyes.

Also, I made lengua for noche de hogar which was an esfuerzo I am truly proud of. And I made baleadas for Sunday lunch which made me feel all Honduran and fuzzy inside.

Mmmm. Cow lengua.
J. wouldn't even take a picture of this with her camera.

J. did eat the lengua in its cooked form though. You go girl!
But look how legit this dinner is. You'd eat it too.

Next Sunday I will make sopa de mondongo.
Que catracha que soy.

I'm learning a lot of things from my cooking exploits namely that it's realllly hard to skin tongue with a dull knife and that mantequilla (Honduran sour cream) should be added to most everything. I'm also learning that only Americans refrigerate things, like oh say milk, cheese, eggs, fruits, and vegetables, and even though I'm trying to be more Honduran about everything I as of yet have not been able to tolerate my quesillo just chilling on the counter. I'm working on it.

No comments: