Thursday, July 12, 2012

Ten for Sixteen

Sixteen was seven years ago. Goodness.


I did this awesome crop and paste job in Paint. Remind me to get the Adobe Suite before I can't get a college discount, OK? 

The picture on the left is of me at sixteen-almost-seventeen taken in Trinidad. The picture on the right is of me barely-twenty-three in Arizona/Utah. I like these comparison pictures because in both I am in french braid and swimsuit and also, because I can discern important things like how Trinidad isn't that windy or bright compared to Lake Powell and that while my eyebrows have stayed relatively the same over seven years, I now smile kind of different.

These are the things I would tell sixteen-me. And in an effort to be more emphatic to sixteen-me I've referred to past journals in order to address her concerns then, rather than my concerns now.

Ten Things.

1) You will get through the International Baccalaureate (IB) program. In fact, you will look back fondly on the IB since it's going to prepare you for college like nothing else will. Also, you will never have to take math again after IB Math. In seven years from now you'll be able to console and counsel your baby brother who will be done with his first year of the IB program. Plus, this Friday you're gonna have lunch with your IB English teacher who was awesome, and may have been why you decided to major in English at BYU. So you'll be happy you did the IB, trust me.

2) Yeah it sucked that Mom didn't let you go swimming without an adult present even when you were SIXTEEN! But you'll get over it.

3) Yup, you were right: Jonathan never liked you.

4) In seven years, most of your journal entries will still be about how stressed you are over homework assignments.

5) It was awesome that you were on the swim and basketball teams in high school. Never mind that you weren't really good, just have fun! You'll remember those times fondly.

6) When Nathan comes back from his mission you won't be mad at him anymore because he'll hang out with you lots when you both go to BYU.

7) You never get super good at driving, sorry. Maybe someday, when we own actually own a car...

8) And I don't think anyone really gets the hang of breaking up with people or getting broken up with. It's still the worst every time.

9) Deep breaths now...breathe in...breathe out...

10) Yes, you do alright on the ACT.

2 comments:

Willard said...

re no 7, we? who is we?

Willard said...

now i get it; it's u and ur 16 yr old selves. nice.