Monday, July 25, 2011

We have a good time in Honduras

So my last post was all thoughtful and attempts of reflection, but today I'm feeling more like posting a travelogue. You're welcome.


Today we traveled from La Ceiba to Copan Ruinas City. The total time of the trip was about nineish hours, and probably about sixish hours if we'd cut out the waiting at the bus station, etc. I don't have a lot of thoughts about La Ceiba. It was hot and sleepy and (we were told) much less crime-ridden than either Tegucigalpa or Tela. For tourists it's most often used as the transit point between mainland Honduras and the Bay Islands so it's not super touristy in of its self. The people were nice though and the stake president's family gave rave reviews about the quality of night life and out-doorsy activities. In fact, the stake president drove J. & I to the garifuna village Sambo Creek--about 15 miles west of La Ceiba--on our day off. Super nice. We got there too late to catch a boat tour of the Cayos Cochinos so we went ziplining, thermal springs soaking, and got massages instead. We were pleased. The ziplining itself was pretty incredible--18 cables, impressive vistas of the jungle and ocean (and if you squinted reaaallly hard you could see the silhouettes of the Cayos Cochinos) and I got to experience some rarely-used muscles in my abdomen and pectoral area. I now understand why our ziplining man-guides were so buff. Not that I noticed. J. & I also found and bought some pretty nifty souvenir gifts, so if you are near and dear to me, look forward to that.





Enjoying La Ceiba nightlife in our sister-missionary attire.







Hot Springs






Ziplining through the jungle.



The La Ceiba workshop was the biggest we've taught so far with a grand total of 60+ attendees, with about a total of 40 attending each of the two days of the workshop (many people only came to one class). We got to use a microphone and everything. That made me feel powerful and like a populist Latin American leader especially when I asked for crowd responses. [The Tela workshop didn't fit into my deep musings last post, so I'll have it be known that the Telenos were a joy to teach and we had about 10-15 attendees]. I think I'm getting better at Spanish public-speaking. Thank goodness. It's been a challenge to fit the 16-hour workshop into two four-hour sessions, but I have loved teaching outside Tegucigalpa. We're filling more diverse member needs and the self-employment workshop has been well-received.







Tela Workshop (#7)




La Ceiba Workshop (#8)



Anyway, we're currently in Copan Ruinas City which is beeeautiful. The Bed & Breakfast that we booked was over-booked and we got put in the super nice apartment villa as a consequence. We have a kitchen, a living room, a balcony, two bedrooms, and two bathrooms. Oh the luxurious lives we lead.


We spent the afternoon horseback riding after spontaneously deciding to accept said offer from our cab driver about two minutes after getting off the bus from La Ceiba. It was a good choice. The horses were nice and Walter, our super chill tour guide, even let me hold the faux-whip on the way back so I could gallop. It was liberating and my thighs are already sore. Walter turned out to be very knowledgeable about local flora and flauna, so I took a lot of pictures and pray that I remember all the names of such abundant Honduran nature.







By the Mayan sapo statue.










Horses & Copan Ruinas Valley.





I'm pretty sure ziplining and horseback riding are two "high-risk" activities we're supposed to OK with our superiors, but I'd just like to point out that living in Tegucigalpa is a high-risk activity and they let us do that...

No comments: