Saturday, July 9, 2011

My Thoughts & More!

Just thinking & More! in El Salvador.

I love/hate stores that are called _______ & More. This, I feel, is just a lazy way of avoiding coming up with a good name or alternatively is actually a less-than-clever way at avoiding revealing how little more there actually is. Trinkets & More! What more?! Goodness. So this blog title is a shout-out to all the Honduran stores called Tropical Breeze & More! or Suministros y Mas! (really, could you be any more vague?!) because I too feel too lazy and not clever enough to try to tie any of the subsequent blog-posting into some cogent/thesis-driven format. So here you have it: My Thoughts & More!

Living with a pseudo-companion makes one more aware of one's self and one's flaws. I always thought I was a mild-mannered girl with my head on straight,but after witnessing over two months of J.'s down-to-earthness I realize I am a tad more hysterical and hormonal than I'd previously thought. So sorry y'all, but mostly to J.

Honduras has brought out some newly realized fears in both of us. J. hates and fears the giant ants that live in our apartment and will squeal loudly along the lines of "Ew! EW! EWWW!" when she discovers them in our sink or in the brigadeiro remains. Luckily her fear has instilled within her aggression rather than passive terror and she has become a very effective ant-killer when her flip-flops are in hand. My hands, on the other hand, are too busy protecting my face from the horror which is barbed wire. Being somewhat tall in Honduras (especially when in wedges) I have sometimes found my face terribly close to the protective barbed wire that lines the tops of all walls. When walking along the Tegucigalpa roads I will sometimes spring off the sidewalk into the road or suddenly crouch and cower when I encounter razor-tipped barbed wire that I am sure is trying to cut my face off. It's all pretty intense. But we're tough. Which is why they sent us here.

This week has been good(ish). I'm supposed to watch local TV for one of my cultural activities which unfortunately degraded into more than a little time-wasting when I discovered just how many movies (and some real jewels, too!) are shown on Honduran TV ALL THE TIME. I think we may have cable. Anyway, the point being is that I'm glad our TV had been left off for the first two months of our stay and that we'll be traveling to the North for the majority of our remaining three weeks (three weeks?!) in Honduras. Stupid cultural activity: You've made me watch like eight American movies. No worries though. In these next two weeks we'll be teaching THREE workshops outside Tegucigalpa in awesome places like, oh, Santa Rosa de Copan. So that's like pretty cool.

No comments: