Sunday, February 3, 2013

On Being Sick, Loving Matthew, Bonsai Men, and Friends.

Disclaimer: This blog post touches upon several unrelated things. And I make little effort to connect these things to each other because coming up with transition sentences is too hard when you're sick. 

Right now I'm curled up in my bed being all sickly-like. I'd never before been able to claim a flu-migraine, but hey, life's all about new experiences, right? Anyway, I'm migraine-recovering and have been trying to read The Absentee, but it hurts my head too much. Not because Maria Edgeworth isn't awesome or anything, but because 18th century moral literature is apparently too much for my aching brain.

So in lieu of being restricted to my bed and not being able to read, I thought I'd do some blog catch-up (because facebooking and blogging do not seem to strain the brain to the same extent). This semester has been only mildly stressful so far. I'm trying to stay focused on my classes which are interesting and challenging even though my main thoughts seem to fluctuate between 1) I love Matthew and 2) I really love Matthew. 


See how beautiful he is? I can't help it. The Long Eighteenth Century has nothing on him. Nothing!

Speaking of beautiful things about a month ago when I was back in DC my family and I went to see the National Bonsai Tree Museum. It was pretty cool. I liked almost all the bonsai trees, but was most fascinated by the little bonsai men. Because bonsai trees with little bonsai men next to them all of the sudden look magical and mysterious and like bonafide landscapes instead of weirdly stunted tree bush things.



The bonsai men have nothing on Matthew. Obviously.

Finally, I really love my friends. About two weeks ago some of my freshmen friends decided to get together for a reunion of sorts. We hadn't all been together for a while and it was lovely to spend time together catching up and reflecting on our last 5 1/2 years (?!) in Provo. It's crazy we're getting so old, but it's also lovely seeing what cool and productive things my friends are doing with their lives. I'm just so proud of all of them; Michelle is the cutest pregnant woman imaginable, Melanie is a real-life dietitian, Grace & Sarah are both returned missionaries who are killing it in the professional world. I'm so lucky I have them as examples and support. They are awesome awesome awesome.



Yup, even when I'm sickly there's a lot to be happy about. Thanks bonsai men, friends, and Matthew. I love you all.